Would LB Dan Skuta Fit In New England?
- Reports came out Wednesday that free agent linebacker Dan Skuta is meeting with the New England Patriots.
- Skuta finished the 2016 season with a 68.3 overall grade, which would have ranked him 62nd among edge defenders had he qualified (in order to qualify a player has to be on the field for 25 percent of his team’s defensive snaps). Skuta’s greatest stretch of play up to this point in his career came 2013-2014, he finished those two seasons with overall grades of 78.6 and 74.4, respectively.
- Despite appearing in 13 games for the Jaguars last season, Skuta played on just 267 defensive snaps and saw more than 30 snaps in just one game all season. Skuta was on the field for 430 defensive snaps in 2015, the only season so far in which he’s played on at least 400 snaps.
- One area Skuta has excelled in is stopping the run. Skuta ranked 29th among all 3-4 outside linebackers last season with a 7.2 run-stop percentage; he has a 7.8 run-stop percentage dating back to the start of 2015 (28 run stops on 357 run-defense snaps).
- Skuta also displayed excellent tackling efficiency, as he was on the field for 153 snaps in run defense last year and missed zero tackles.