Wilfork not yet completely sure on retirement
- “Vince Wilfork recently hasn’t decided yet on retirement,” according to an interview with Mike Florio.
- At the conclusion of the 2016 season it was all but decided that Wilfork would be hanging up his cleats, but at this point it still isn’t a foregone conclusion.
- In 2016, Wilfork led the Texans defensive linemen with 16 run stops. His run-stop percentage of 6.6 ranked 43rd of 75 defensive tackles in the NFL.
- He had 13 pressures on 233 pass-rush snaps, for a pass-rush productivity of 4.2 (tied for 43rd in the NFL of 68 qualifying defensive tackles).
- His PFF overall grade of 45.1 (position rank 84 of 127) in 2016 was the worst of his career during the PFF era other than his injury-shortened 2013.
- If Wilfork does decide to leave the game of football, DJ Reader should expect an expanded role going forward. The Texans also drafted interior defender Carlos Watkins in the fourth round, though he is a different type of player and would not be a direct Wilfork replacement.