Steelers not sure about Martavis Bryant's future
- Pittsburgh Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said Tuesday the team doesn’t yet know if WR Martavis Bryant will be reinstated from the suspension that held him out all of 2016.
- Bryant was second on the team with 27 targets on passes traveling 20 yards or further through the air in 2015, and tied for second with eight receptions on those targets.
- With Bryant out, Antonio Brown’s deep targets were similar — 33 in 2015 compared with 32 in 2016 — but Brown made the most of his opportunities, and was tied for the NFL lead with eight touchdowns on those targets.
- Sammie Coates got plenty of opportunities as the secondary deep target in Pittsburgh, with 25 deep targets and, while he did have 321 yards on those passes, he also dropped three of the 10 catchable passes thrown his way downfield.
- There are plenty of mid-round options in the draft if the Steelers don’t want to hold out hope for Bryant, including Western Kentucky’s Taywan Taylor, who had 948 yards on passes traveling 20-plus yards through the air, more than 200 more than the next best wide receiver in this draft class.