Packers sign G Jahri Evans as veteran replacement for T.J. Lang
- The Green Bay Packers signed veteran free agent guard Jahri Evans before the 2017 NFL Draft.
- Evans returned to the New Orleans Saints last season and started all 16 games at right guard, earning a 76.8 overall grade.
- He was much more proficient in pass protection than as a run blocker in 2016, only allowed two sacks, three hits and 21 hurries in 2016. His pass-blocking grade (84.4) ranked 20th among guards last year.
- The Packers’ options on the roster to replace T.J. Lang at right guard were all less than encouraging, with either Don Barclay or Jason Spriggs expected to step in the role.
- In very limited action in 2016, Barclay and Spriggs earned 46.5 and 45.7 overall grades respectively, and Green Bay opted for the 33-year-old Evans as a veteran solution to help keep Aaron Rodgers upright in 2017.