Jaguars pick up Blake Bortles' fifth-year option
- Two days after the 2017 draft, the Jaguars decided to pick up the fifth-year option of quarterback Blake Bortles.
- After addressing the running game and offensive line with Leonard Fournette and Cam Robinson in the draft, the Jaguars now hope Bortles can show some of his 2015 promise.
- One key component of this will be how Bortles performs in the deep passing game. In 2015, Bortles was fifth among all quarterbacks on deep passes with a 106.3 passer rating, while his accuracy percentage of 46.9 was seventh in the league.
- Both regressed in 2016 as Bortles ranked last among all quarterbacks in the two categories. His rating on deep passes checked in at 17.5, while his accuracy nearly shrunk in half to 23.5.
- This is a practical move for the Jaguars as we still don’t know which is the real Bortles and if he plays well, they are locked into another year at a reasonable rate, or can cut ties after 2017 with nothing lost.