Eagles sign LeGarrette Blount, expected to release Ryan Mathews
- RB LeGarrette Blount, now 30-years old, has signed with the Eagles after being linked with the Giants and Lions.
- Blount performed best running power (3.98 yards per carry) and inside zone (4.03 YPC) concepts with New England last season. The Eagles heavily used inside zone runs in 2016 and power will likely see an increase in 2017 – even if inside zone usage is dialed back due to alterations in personnel.
- One possible explanation is the increased influence of Alabama offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland, who ran primarily gap-scheme assignments with the Crimson Tide.
- Mathews (23.2) ranked 47 of 53 running backs in elusive rating last year while Blount (37.3) ranked 25th, forcing 42 missed tackles in the rushing game alone.
- Blount and Mathews both performed well in short yardage situations. Blount converted 10-of-25 3rd/4th & short situations in 2016 (40 percent), while Mathews converted five of 13 opportunities (38.5 percent).
- Durability and ball-security questions have Mathews on the roster bubble. However, Blount is no stranger to those issues, but might better balance the Eagles’ running back rotation.