C.J. Beathard was the only quarterback Kyle Shanahan wanted in the draft
- Peter King of The MMQB reported that C.J. Beathard, the Iowa quarterback selected by the 49ers in the third round of the NFL Draft, was “the only quarterback [Kyle] Shanahan wanted in this draft.”
- Beathard was the 10th-ranked quarterback on the PFF Big Board.
- Beathard’s pedestrian 55.9 percent completion rate in 2016 was impacted by his supporting cast more perhaps than any other quarterback in this draft class, underselling his true accuracy.
- Beathard’s 73.5 percent adjusted-completion rate – which accounts for drops, throw aways, batted passes, spikes and passes where the quarterback is hit as throws – ranked 13th among quarterbacks in this draft class, ahead of Davis Webb and DeShone Kizer, who were both selected ahead of him.
- The 17.6 percent difference between Beathard’s traditional completion percentage and adjusted-completion percentage was the highest in college football last season by a significant margin.