Broncos HC Joseph: 'decision-making' a huge factor in starting QB
- Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph recently said, “Decision-making is going to be a major factor in who wins the (quarterback) job.”
- In his statement, Joseph focused on Trevor Siemian’s football IQ and Paxton Lynch’s physical ability.
- Siemian will likely start with a leg up in the competition over Lynch due to his experience as last season Siemian had 530 dropbacks to just 99 for Lynch.
- The duo will need to improve their ability to take care of the football as 4.42 percent of Siemian’s throws were turnover-worthy throws, well above the NFL average of 3.52 percent. On all of Lynch’s passes including the preseason, 8.57 percent of his throws were turnover-worthy.
- Decision-making under pressure is an issue for both quarterbacks as well. Siemian had a passer rating of 61.6 under pressure which was 20th out of 29 qualifying quarterbacks. While Siemian struggled mightily, Lynch was far worse in his limited snap posting a passer rating of 27.1, completing just 36.4 percent of his passes under duress.