Injury Update: Week 3 of Preseason
- Drew Brees, NO:
- Injury Description: Oblique strain
- News: Brees missed the Saints’ second exhibition game due to his strained oblique muscle. He has yet to complete a full practice since suffering the injury on August 1. Recent reports from Saints training camp indicate he is close to returning to full participation at practices.
- Projected Time Missed: Day-to-day. Probable for Week 1 of regular season.
- There are multiple abdominal oblique muscles, and they are essential in the throwing motion. There are also three grades of muscle strains. We do not know the either the specific muscle or grade of Brees’ injury, and that makes any analysis of his injury difficult.
- Nevertheless, it appears Brees is close to returning to full participation at practice. The Saints have likely been conservative with returning him to practice due to it being the preseason, and the possibility of his injury becoming nagging if he returns too soon. All indications are Brees will be back to his normal self by Week 1.