PFF scouting report: Marquez White, CB, Florida State
Name: Marquez White
School: Florida State
Position fit: Cornerback
Stats to know: Allowed just 302 yards in coverage in 2016.
What he does best:
- Allowed just two touchdowns in coverage over the past three seasons.
- Had an impressive interception against Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson, recognizing where he was going with the ball and coming off his assignment to meet the ball.
- Played both sides of the punt team, both punt coverage and punt returns significantly in 2016.
- Didn’t allow an NFL passer rating higher than 62.3 in either of the past two seasons.
- Doesn’t make a lot of plays on the ball, with just three interceptions and six pass breakups over the past two seasons.
- Often caught taking terrible angles to the football after the catch. Of his 302 receiving yards allowed in 2016, 36.8 percent came after the catch.
- Needs to improve significantly as a tackler. Missed 22.7 percent of the solo tackles he attempted over the past three seasons.
- Timed speed of 4.59. Was beaten deep and bailed out by bad throws at times in 2016.
Bottom line: White’s tape has several impressive plays and, with decent arm length, provides some intrigue in this draft class. There are a lot of things he needs to improve on if he is to be a solid contributor at the next level though, with the poor angles he takes and his general tackling efficiency both in need of serious work.