Week 14 Wide Receiver Matchup Chart

Before setting your Week 14 fantasy lineup, be sure to find out who each of your wideouts will see in coverage.

| 2 years ago
Jeremy-Maclin

Week 14 Wide Receiver Matchup Chart


JimmySmithDown below is a chart that matches up wide receivers with cornerbacks. Quite often, we see many casual football fans simply assume that elite cornerbacks follow the opposing team’s No. 1 wide receiver around the field. That almost never happens. The below chart will help you determine which cornerbacks your top receivers will see in coverage each week. As you’ll see, it’s not always cut and dry, but we hope this information will allow you to make the best lineup decisions each week.

Understanding the chart:

The chart is split into three “zones”. The first is Left Wide Receiver (LWR) vs. Right Cornerback (RCB). The second is the exact opposite. The third matches up primary slot recievers with primary slot defenders. The percentage shown is how often the player has lined up in that position so far this season. In some cases, the number is very high and telling. In others, it’s low and predictable. Other times it’s low because of injury/depth chart movement.

Next to each defender, you’ll see three additional columns.

One is ‘T/G’, which refers to targets faced-per-game.

The second is ‘Cov’, which refers to the coverage grade given to each defender by our fine analysts at PFF.  Most don’t know what qualifies as a good or bad coverage grade, which is why it’s on a 0-to-100 scale. 100 is bad and means its a great (A+) matchup for the receiver. Zero means good coverage and is thus bad news (F) for the receiver. 50 is, of course, an average matchup.

The third column is ‘FP’, which identifies how each defender has fared in terms of fantasy points (ppr) per target so far this season.Only defenders who have seen 20-plus targets this season are graded. This is also on a 1-to-100 scale.

Most of us fantasy-football gamers are well aware of which wide receivers are elite, but we aren’t quite as familiar with many cornerbacks. These columns help solve that issue.

To read the entire article, please login or sign up for a PFF Fantasy Subscription

Not a PFF fantasy subscriber? Compare all of our packages and features here.

Follow Mike Clay on Twitter: @MikeClayNFL

  • Shawn Schreier

    I like how you put this together every week. However, is there any way to determine how often other receivers line up at each position? For instance, John Brown is listed as lining up as the left receiver only 32% of the time–any way I can figure out who lines up there the other 68% off the time? Do you just list whichever receiver lines up at the position the most, meaning the other 68% of plays it is someone else, but John Brown is the most frequent?

    • Mike Clay

      I position them where I expect them to line up the most this week. Sometimes a guy could be in the slot for 8 weeks, but shift to the outside (eg. Robert Woods). Obviously his %s will be fluky, but his location in the chart is correct. I do plan to expand this chart next year and probably will do more with it in the playoffs this year.

  • Marcus

    Good Afternoon,

    I’m sure you’ve received this before (sorry sort of new to this), but what would you say is more important when making a wr decision, the Cov or FP? Or, how would you weight them (e.g., 60/40 cov to fp)