Tennessee-Alabama grades: Strong performance from Jake Coker
Here are the top takeaways and highest-graded players from Alabama’s 19-14 win at home over Tennessee.
– While he certainly battled his usual bouts of inaccuracy, QB Joshua Dobbs did his best to keep Tennessee in the game this week with a number of big-time plays. His touchdown pass to WR Josh Smith was well-placed between coverage, and he picked up 56 yards on the ground, including 47 as part of designed runs in the Vols’ offense.
– A strong defensive line effort was led by ends Derek Barnett (+2.5) and Corey Vereen (+2.5), while DT Owen Williams had a strong game as well. Barnett notched two sacks and two hurries on 27 rushes, and Vereen added two sacks of his own and four hurries on his 20 rushes. Williams did a nice job against the run (+1.4), as he re-directed runs and got in on two stops.
– As is often the case when going up against Alabama running back Derrick Henry (+1.4), tackling was an issue for Tennessee’s defense. They finished with 16 on the day, including six different players all registering two apiece.
QB Joshua Dobbs +3.0
DE Derek Barnett +2.5
DE Corey Vereen +2.5
DT Owen Williams +2.2
RB Alvin Kamara +2.1
Alabama Crimson Tide
– The passing game has been under the microscope all season, but they made a number of big plays. WRs ArDarius Stewart (+2.9) and Calvin Ridley (+2.0) made contested downfield catches, and QB Jake Coker (+4.2) did a nice job of getting them the ball. Other than Coker misreading a coverage for an interception, he had a strong afternoon—one that is encouraging for Alabama’s playoff hopes.
– The defensive line put in their usual strong effort, led by DT Jarran Reed and DE A’Shawn Robinson. Reed had three run stops and was rarely blocked, while Robinson graded at +1.4 against the run and +1.0 as a pass rusher. DE Jonathan Allen was consistently in the backfield as well, picking up a sack and two hurries on 16 rushes.
– The linebackers did their part as well, this time led by Reuben Foster. He showed his power against the run (+2.5), and also as a pass rusher as he bull rushed his way to the quarterback multiple times, finishing with a sack and two hurries. Reggie Ragland (+0.8) was a force against the run, finishing with a team-high six stops.
DT Jarran Reed +4.7
QB Jake Coker +4.2
LB Reuben Foster +3.7
WR ArDarius Stewart +2.9
DE/DT A’Shawn Robinson +2.5