Washington brings back specialist Thompson
- Despite playing in a rotational role, Washington RB Chris Thompson managed 489 offensive snaps in 2016.
- He was especially effective in third-down situations, receiving 69 percent of all Washington backfield targets last season and Kirk Cousins had a QB rating of 102.5 while throwing his way, 2.4 points above the NFL average.
- Thompson led the way in Washington’s backfield in all major categories: average yards per carry, yards after contact per attempt, yards per route run and elusive rating.
- When targeting Thompson on screens and out routes from the backfield, Kirk Cousins earned QB ratings of 122.4 (19.9 points above NFL average) and 114.1 (14.8 points above NFL average), respectively.
- Thompson ranked 10th among running backs in yards per route run, earning 1.13 yards per snap.