Veteran TE Vance McDonald no lock to make 49ers roster
- After the San Francisco 49ers attempted to trade tight end Vance McDonald during the NFL draft last month, it “wouldn’t be a surprise if he didn’t make the 53-man roster,” according to Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle.
- McDonald posted a career-high PFF grade in 2016, with his 71.6 overall grade ranking 24th out of 63 qualifying tight ends.
- McDonald’s yards-per-route-run-mark has increased in each of the past three seasons, topping out at 1.67 in 2016, which ranked 13th out of 42 tight ends with at least 30 targets.
- However, drops have been a consistent issue throughout the former second-round pick’s career, as McDonald has dropped 12 of 76 catchable passes since entering the league in 2013.
- McDonald’s 15.8 percent drop rate since 2013 is the worst among 49 tight ends with at least 75 catchable targets in that span.