Titans draftee Brown brings coverage skills to team
- The Tennessee Titans drafted UCLA linebacker Jayon Brown in the fifth round with hopes he can fill the void left by Sean Spence.
- Spence, who signed with the Indianapolis Colts this offseason, spent 456 of his 503 snaps in nickel personnel with the Titans this past season. His 304 coverage snaps were the second-most for the team’s linebackers.
- Brown, who was a three-down linebacker for UCLA last season, will likely fill Spence’s role on passing downs for the Titans this season.
- He was one of the nation’s top coverage linebackers in 2016, recording three interceptions and three pass breakups, while allowing a completion rate of 63.7 percent.
- Quarterbacks targeting a player in his coverage last season had an NFL QB rating of 50.4, which was the fourth-lowest rate in this year’s linebacker class.
- His PFF coverage grade of 87.6 last season is the highest for any linebacker that was drafted.