Texans QB Tom Savage seeing majority of first team reps at OTAs
- Houston Texans QB Tom Savage is seeing the majority of first team reps at organized team activities as the team prepares for the season.
- In Savage’s three starts last season, he didn’t take many chances down the field. Only 9.6 percent of his passes were over 20 yards in the air, which ranked 24th out of 32 quarterbacks.
- Savage led the league in adjusted completion percentage in the final three weeks of the season, with an 83.3 percent rate, as he completed 18 of his 26 attempts, throwing just two passes away.
- The Texans didn’t use play action often with Savage under center, only 12.5 percent of the time which was fewest in the NFL. His completion percentage dropped 33.9 percent when using play action and was the worst mark in the NFL during the final three weeks of the season, completing only three of nine passes.
- Savage looked to attack defenses with out routes. He threw out routes on 29 percent of his targeted passes, which was well above the NFL average of 12 percent.