Smith-Schuster seeing reps in the slot in OTAs
- Steelers rookie wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster has been seeing reps in the slot at OTAs.
- Smith-Schuster spent the majority of his final year at USC lining up at right wide receiver, running 361 of his 437 pass routes from there, with 76 routes run from the slot.
- Smith-Schuster caught 15 of his 19 targets from the slot for 147 yards and three touchdowns, with only one drop. Among wide receivers to run at least 50 routes from the slot, his catch rate of 78.9 percent ranked 26th out of 315 eligible receivers.
- His competition for playing time from the slot will be Eli Rogers, who ranked 19th in the NFL with 53 targets from the slot.
- Smith-Schuster had one of the safest pair of hands in the PAC-12 in 2016, with just four drops from the 74 catchable passes thrown his way.