RB Matt Jones will not report to Redskins OTAs
- Washington Redskins RB Matt Jones will not be at OTAs as he does not appear to be part of the team’s plans in 2017.
- After the emergence of Rob Kelley in 2016, Jones did not see the field after Week 7 and was a healthy scratch for the rest of the season. With the Redskins drafting Samaje Perine in the fourth round of the NFL draft and Chris Thompson and Mack Brown still around, Jones may not have a place on the roster.
- Through Week 5 of last season, Jones had accumulated 74.5 percent of the Redskins running back’s carries, rushing for 298 yards including 201 yards after contact and two touchdowns. Over the next two weeks, Jones saw his carry share fall to 46.4 percent before he was benched in favor of Kelley.
- During his time in Washington, Jones has had trouble holding onto the ball as his seven fumbles from the beginning of the 2015 season to Week 7 of 2016 were the second most behind Chargers RB Melvin Gordon.
- Jones is a physical runner who will be sure to find a new home if he does not end up staying in Washington. His 2.85 yards after contact per attempt before his benching ranked tied for fifth among backs with more than 75 carries during that span.