Lions reportedly eying short-yardage free agent options
- Despite ranking near the bottom of the league in rushing via traditional stats, Detroit opted to not select a running back in last week’s draft and could look to fill the need with remaining free agents. Both LeGarrette Blount and Matt Asiata have reportedly spoken with the team.
- Blount’s 2016 grade of 68.0 was his worst since 2012, and his 2.48 yards after contact ranked just 29th out of 53 qualifying RBs.
- Blount was successful of 55 percent of his short-yardage runs, which ranked 34th among qualifying RBs.
- Asiata’s 2016 grade of 68.6 was the highest of career. Often called a “power back,” he averaged just 2.04 yards after contact last year, 51st among qualifying RBs.
- Asiata’s 56 percent success rate on short-yardage runs ranked 29th among qualifying RBs.