Jonathan Cooper likely to get first crack at Dallas guard job
- After losing 1,997 snaps from last year, there is opportunity on the Dallas Cowboys offensive line. La’el Collins is reportedly taking over at the right tackle spot, and reports are that Jonathan Cooper will have the chance to start at guard.
- After being drafted seventh overall in the 2013 draft, Cooper has failed to live up to expectations. The Cowboys are his fourth team in a year, after stints with Arizona, New England, and Cleveland.
- In 592 pass-protecting snaps, Cooper has allowed three sacks, three hits, and 21 pressures.
- Comparatively, in 473 pass-blocking snaps in 2016, Leary allowed four hits and 21 pressures
- Leary has outperformed Cooper significantly as a run-blocker the past few seasons, but if the latter can continue his trajectory of improvement, Dallas will have saved resources without a dramatic dropoff in performance