Jags' Yannick Ngakoue looks to build on pass-rushing promise
- The Jaguars have been looking for a dynamic edge rusher for years, possibly landing the answer in last year’s third-round pick, Yannick Ngakoue.
- Ngakoue earned a pass-rushing grade of 68.0 in his rookie season, 60th out of 102 qualifying edge rushers.
- More impressively, Ngakoue recorded 47 total quarterback pressures on 474 pass-rushing snaps, averaging a pressure a little over once every 10 snaps. The 47 total pressures ranked second-most amongst rookie edge rushers.
- The main weakness in Ngakoue’s game in 2016 was defending the run, as his grade of 32.7 in that regard was last among all qualifying edge rushers.
- If Ngakoue can improve in the run game — which teammates Dante Fowler, Calais Campbell, and Malik Jackson already have shown they can make an impact in — the potential is there to make the Jaguars’ defense even stingier in 2017 than it appears on paper.