Giants prepping Goodson for starting MLB job
- The Giants drafted B.J. Goodson in the fourth round of the 2016 draft, and the second-year player is in line to be the team’s starting middle linebacker, if early OTA reports are any indication.
- Though the team’s linebacker corps was underwhelming this past season, Goodson saw just 13 regular-season defensive snaps, mostly contributing on special teams where he had six tackles.
- In 63 preseason snaps, Goodson totaled seven stops and allowed just six yards in coverage on five targets and a 64.6 passer rating.
- The former Clemson Tiger had just one missed tackle last preseason. During his senior season he missed just seven, the fourth-best tackling rate in the 2015 LB class.
- Goodson’s strength is his run defense — he ranked 10th in the draft class with an 11.9 run-stop percentage. However, he showed promise in coverage during the 2016 preseason.