Free agent WR Victor Cruz set to visit Jacksonville
- Multiple reports have stated free agent WR Victor Cruz will be meeting with the Jaguars later this month.
- Before tearing his patellar tendon in 2014, Cruz was one of the league’s most efficient receivers in the slot and had two seasons where he finished with over 800 yards from that alignment alone.
- Due to missing all of 2015 with a torn calf and the emergence of Sterling Shepard in 2016, Cruz has had limited opportunities to operate in the slot.
- Production from the slot is a question mark for the Jaguars entering 2017.
- Allen Hurns was very productive there in 2015 averaging 2.38 yards per route run – fourth out of 52 qualified receivers, but that figure dropped to 0.92 before a torn hamstring cut his season short, just 43rd out of 54 receivers.
- With Cruz’s former head coach Tom Coughlin serving as the Jaguars Executive VP of football operations, the team may think it’s worth a flier to see if Cruz can recapture his pre-injury form.