Eagles decline fifth-year option for Marcus Smith
- With the selection of Derek Barnett, the signing of Chris Long and the return of Brandon Graham and Vinny Curry, Smith will find himself buried on the depth chart for 2017.
- With an overall grade of 46.2, Smith received the lowest overall grade of all Philadelphia edge defenders in 2016.
- Smith was drafted to play 3-4 outside linebacker in the 2015 scheme, before switching to defensive end with the arrival of Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator. Over his three-year career, he has only played 18.9 percent of the Eagles’ defensive snaps and managed just four sacks in 37 career games.
- He endured his worst season attempting to adapt to a 3-point stance, registering only 11 combined QB pressures in 2016.
- Smith finished last among Eagles edge defenders in QB hits, hurries, tackles and stops a season ago.