Doug Martin taking first team reps at OTAs
- 2016 was not kind to Doug Martin. He injured his hamstring in Week 2, and would miss the next seven games with the injury.He returned in Week 10, and was a healthy scratch in Week 16, before being suspended days later for four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy. This suspension will conclude after Tampa Bay’s third game in 2017.
- In the six games following his return from injury, Martin struggled to replicate his past success.His best game was in Week 11 vs. Kansas City, where his performance earned him an overall PFF game grade of 80.6. His season grade of 66.8 was considerably worse than his career best 84.8 rating in 2015.
- Tampa Bay drafted running back Jeremy McNichols in the fifth round of the 2017 draft. His performance for Boise State earned him an overall PFF grade of 87.7, third-best out of 977 college RBs.
- The remaining members of the Buccaneers RB group also return from last season – Jacquizz Rodgers (77.2 overall PFF grade), Charles Sims (57.5), and Peyton Barber (66.5).
- Martin appears to be being given the opportunity to keep the starting job in 2017, but even if he does, he won’t be available until Week 4, so the Bucs will need Rodgers and McNicols to be ready to contribute from Week 1.