Safety Devin McCourty remains key to Patriots' defense
By May 15, 2017New England Patriots free safety Devin McCourty (32) lines up against the Indianapolis Colts an NFL football game in Indianapolis, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015. (Jeff Haynes/AP Images for Panini) •
- Last season, Devin McCourty continued to provide top-tier safety play for the New England Patriots.
- McCourty ranked fourth among 90 qualified safeties with an 89.6 overall grade; his 91.9 coverage grade ranked first.
- McCourty has earned an overall grade of at least 84.0 in six of his seven professional seasons, the one exception coming in 2011 when he finished at 68.6 overall.
- The Rutgers grad ranked sixth among 56 qualified safeties last season by allowing just 0.28 yards per coverage snap (yards allowed while in primary coverage relative to how many snaps spent in coverage), ranking ahead of other top safeties such as Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, and Harrison Smith.
- McCourty also led the Patriots’ defense with 1,209 defensive snaps, third-most among all NFL safeties in 2016.