Deone Bucannon could miss start of 2017 season
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Deone Bucannon could miss the start of the season after ankle surgery, the team announced. The linebacker missed the end of 2016 with a nagging ankle injury that could put him on the PUP list to start 2017.
- Head coach Bruce Arians said he hopes to have Bucannon back in September. “We think, if everything goes perfect, he’ll be ready,” Arians said. “But there’s always that chance that it won’t.”
- The Cardinals were one of only two teams to use four safeties for over 400 snaps in the league in 2014, Bucannon’s rookie year.
- After a subpar year, Bucannon was moved to inside linebacker in 2015 and was tied for sixth in the league in combined tackles and assisted tackles among ILBs (116).
- Bucannon and his teammate inside at linebacker, Kevin Minter, combined to not allow a touchdown in coverage last year.
- His 0.75 yards per cover snap in 2016 was 10th-best in the league among linebackers.