Calais Campbell thinks the Jags defensive line is 'stacked with talent'
- Speaking at OTAs, defensive end Calais Campbell, who the Jaguars signed in free agency, feels the team is “stacked with talent, especially at D-Line”.
- The Jaguars have made a point to address their pass rush over the past years, selecting at least one edge rusher in the past three NFL drafts.
- Selected third in 2015, Dante Fowler missed his entire rookie season due to a torn ACL. By the end of 2016, Fowler seemed much more comfortable rushing the passer. His 10 pressures between weeks 15-17 were tied for 9th among 53 qualifying 4-3 defensive ends in that span.
- Yannick Ngakoue, a third-round selection in 2016, showed pass rushing ability from the start. His 47 pressures in 2016 were second among all rookie edge rushers.
- The Jaguars drafted another edge rusher this past draft in Dawuane Smoot. In his final year at Illinois, Smoot led all draft-eligible edge rushers with 28.4 snaps per bull rush pressure.
- Jacksonville certainly has talent throughout the defense as Campbell mentioned. However, continued development from the young pass rushers he mentioned will be key to potential 2017 success.