Bucs WR Mike Evans needs more yards after the catch
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Todd Monken told reporters today “the next step for (WR) Mike Evans is getting those yards after the catch. Evans is just too talented to just catch and fall.”
- Evans’ 1,321 yards ranked fourth of all wide receivers in 2016, however, his 188 yards after the catch ranked 66th out of 119 qualifiers.
- Every other leading wide receiver had more yards after the catch than Evans until 44th-ranked Dez Bryant of the Dallas Cowboys (796 yards, 144 YAC).
- His 2.0 yards after catch per reception ranked 112th out of 118 qualifiers in 2016.
- Evans’ had 401 combined yards after the catch in 2014 & 2015, 12 wide receivers alone had more than that in 2016.
- A key to more yards after the catch may be forcing more missed tackles. Evans forced only 14 missed tackles combined during his first three years in the league.