Bucs Ryan Smith working at cornerback with absence of starters
- According to Jenna Laine of ESPN, Tampa Bay Buccaneers CB Ryan Smith is back to playing his “natural position” during organized team activities, after playing safety last year.
- Starters Vernon Hargreaves III and Brent Grimes have not been participating, allowing others to take advantage of valuable reps.
- While Smith didn’t log a defensive snap in the regular season last year, he did play a total of 86 snaps in the 2016 preseason – 57 percent came at free safety and just seven percent came at cornerback, all of which were in the slot.
- In Smith’s three games against FBS competition in 2014 and 2015 at North Carolina Central, he played 161 snaps, splitting between left and right cornerback while none came at safety.
- In those three games, Smith was targeted 13 times and allowed just five catches for 44 yards (63.6 passer rating). He also collected an impressive three pass deflections.