Buccaneers sign veteran QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
- Fitzpatrick inks a deal with the Buccaneers, signing with his seventh different team in his NFL career.
- Fitzpatrick disappointed in 2016 as he was PFF’s 31st ranked quarterback out of 34 qualifying QBs, earning a 42.1 overall PFF grade, which was the worst of his career. However, in seven of his 11 seasons, he has earned a PFF grade of 71.1 or higher.
- Fitzpatrick has historically struggled with his deep passes (passes targeted 20 yards past the line of scrimmage). In 2016, he was 19-of-51 for 556 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions earning a passer rating of 73.7 which was 23rd among 34 quarterbacks. In 2015, he finished 31st among 35 quarterbacks on deep passes with a passer rating of 53.7.
- A major reason for Fitzpatrick’s decline in play in 2016 was his inability to handle pressure. In 2015, he finished with an 80.2 passer rating under pressure, 11th best. In 2016, however, this dropped off finishing 32nd out of 37 qualifying quarterbacks with a 44.7 passer rating.
- Last season, Fitzpatrick had the most success targeting receivers on HB screens. Completing 19-of-21 passes for 213 yards and a touchdown. His passer rating of 124.8 was on HB screens was one of only two routes he had a passer rating above 100.0.