5 things you need to know for Thursday
Good morning football fans! Here are the five things you need to know coming out of Wednesday to get your morning started right:
- The Arizona Cardinals have addressed their depth at the QB position by adding Blaine Gabbert on a one-year deal. Gabbert’s NFL career has been little short of a disaster to this point, and his career numbers throwing the deep ball – a Bruce Arians staple – are ugly, so it’s no sure thing that he’ll even make the final roster in the desert.
- The New York Jets are bringing in a sleeper free agent linebacker in the form of Gerald Hodges for a visit. Hodges has flashed talent in both his previous teams in the NFL – The Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers – with his performance in 584 snaps over 2016 for the 49ers particularly impressive. Hodges could be a very underrated signing for the Jets if he can replicate that form for them going forwards.
- RB Isaiah Crowell has finally signed his tender and is now under contract with the Browns again on a one-year, $2.81 million contract. Crowell has flashed some talent, and his big-play ability has been his biggest plus to date, breaking off 16 runs of 15 or more yards this past season.
- Titans GM Jon Robinson says that the team’s second first-round pick, CB Adoree’ Jackson, could eventually be sprinkled into the offense. Jackson was used on offense at USC, and was a major playmaker there, but almost all of his touches came on gimmick plays manufactured to put the ball in his hands and let him make plays. Jackson has work to do on mastering cornerback first, but it’s a potentially exciting gadget-play addition to the Titans offense down the line.
- Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger have developed a reputation in recent years of being very trustworthy fantasy options at home, but much dicier on the road. PFF Fantasy’s Tyler Loechner dived in on the numbers, checking whether those big-name guys’ struggles are unique to them or something all QBs face.