5 things you need to know for Sunday
Good morning football fans! Here are the five things you need to know coming out of Saturday to get your morning started right:
- Tom Brady became the latest player to feature on the cover of the Madden video game franchise. Can he break the curse? We dive into the PFF numbers to quantify the curse since we began grading (2006). Only one player enjoyed a better overall PFF grade the season after they were featured on the cover, with the average drop in grade a full eight points.
- Most NFL players are weeks away from any serious action, but rookies are out there and already going down injured. Browns fourth-round pick, CB Howard Wilson out of Houston, fractured his kneecap during the opening practice of the rookie minicamp and will now undergo surgery, likely missing the entirety of the 2017 season.
- Seahawks rookie CB Shaquill Griffin is set to be given every chance to win the starting cornerback spot opposite Richard Sherman. Griffin had some outstanding coverage numbers employing coverages very similar to Seattle’s defense while playing for UCF, and there is a lot to like in his tape. He did give up six touchdowns last season however, so year one could have some ups and downs.
- Graham Glasgow is reportedly set to win Detroit’s starting left guard job, meaning the team has pretty much given up on former first-round draft pick Laken Tomlinson. Glasgow has struggled as both a run-blocker and in pass protection for the Lions, and based on what we have seen from both players so far, the team needs a big improvement from either to shore up that position on the line.
- Even with the vast majority of free agency behind us, there are still a handful of available free agents who could have an impact in fantasy in 2017. Daniel Kelley runs through the highlights at every position.