5 things you need to know for Saturday
Hello football fans! Here are the five things you need to know from Friday to start your day:
- PFF Analyst Zoltan Buday continues his look at the top players over 30 years of age, this time with a focus on the defensive side of the ball. S Eric Weddle is the highlight of the team, not only putting up one of his personal best seasons, but the highest graded season of any safety last year. Familiar names like DT Ndamukong Suh and CB Aqib Talib join him on the list.
- Dez Bryant is asking for punt return opportunities this season. Although he has not returned a punt since 2012, Bryant had one of the top punt return for touchdown rates from 2010 to 2012. His punt return grade did fall the further he got into his career however.
- Lane Johnson is setting his sights high. He believes that the Eagles could have the best offensive line in 2017. With several highly graded members due to return to the line this year, Johnson has a shot at being correct. LT Jason Peters, RG Brandon Brooks, and Johnson himself at right tackle all ranked among their position groups.
- The Titans offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie wants to use both of his main running backs. The combination of DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry was a strong one for the Titans last year. Behind another well graded offensive line, both backs were effective runners, combining to rush for 1,777 yards in 2016. Both backs earned high marks as pass blockers as well.
- In 2016, Matt Ryan was a draft afterthought in fantasy leagues, but he turned in a career year and finished as the No.2 fantasy quarterback. PFF Fantasy writer Dan Schneier investigates which quarterbacks could make a similar move in 2017, late-round options who could end the year as premium players.