5 things you need to know for Saturday
Good morning football fans! Here are the five things you need to know coming out of Friday to get your morning started right:
- Marcus Williams is likely to enter the season as a starting CB for the New York Jets. The team didn’t pick up a corner in the draft and even with free agent acquisition Morris Claiborne manning one spot, that still leaves Williams occupying another starting spot. Last season, Williams was one of only six qualifying corners to allow a touchdown on over 10 percent of their targets.
- No quarterback has been hit as he threw more than Andrew Luck since he entered the league in 2012. Luck has operated behind a porous offensive line in Indianapolis for much of his career, but the team is working on repairing the unit and better supporting Luck within the offense.
- Where will Falcons rookie Damontae Kazee play in the NFL? Despite being listed at corner on the team website’s roster, the San Diego State cornerback prospect was reportedly listed at safety on the roster handed out to media at rookie minicamp. Kazee played corner almost exclusively in college, so that position switch would be a transition, but given the coverage played by the Aztecs there are a lot of transferable skills to ease it.
- The Chicago Bears will be hosting former Michigan star and Jacksonville Jaguar, Denard Robinson, at minicamp. Robinson saw his average yards per carry after contact decline every season of his Jaguars career, and never seemed to really take to his switch to the running back position having been a college quarterback. This is likely his last chance to salvage a meaningful NFL career.
- Air Force wide receiver Jalen Robinette is going to try out for the Buffalo Bills at their rookie minicamp, it has been reported. Robinette is a receiver with the size and talent to make an impact in the NFL, but saw his draft prospects thrown a curveball after a decision came down that Air Force members could not defer their active service to play in the NFL. No FBS WR had more deep catches last season without dropping a pass than Robinette’s 17.