49ers sign defensive end Datone Jones
- NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport announced via Twitter that free agent defensive end Datone Jones has agreed to terms with the San Francisco 49ers.
- A first-round draft pick for the Green Bay Packers in 2013, Jones was released by the Detroit Lions last week after spending training camp with the Minnesota Vikings.
- Jones has predominantly been deployed as a 3-4 defensive end, 61 percent of his career snaps, but saw his highest percentage of playing time as a 3-4 outside linebacker in 2016 when he participated in 54.6 percent of the Packers defensive snaps.
- Jones has been relatively consistent with regard to pass-rush productivity (measuring pressure created on a per snap basis with weighting toward sacks) in his career to date, with a high of 9.9 in 2015 ranking ninth among 53 qualifying 3-4 defensive ends.
- He also posted his highest overall grade of 73.8 in the 2015 season, whereby he also showed some ability against the run recording 10 run stops on just 76 run snaps.