PFF scouting report: Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas
Below is the PFF draft profile for Arkansas’ Alex Collins, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.
Fits best as a spell player behind a lead back. Could also work in a running back-by-committee with the right pairing.
Stats to know:
• Ranked 24th in overall grade among FBS running backs in 2015, eighth among draft eligible players.
• Run grade ranked 21st in FBS, ninth in draft class.
What he does best:
• Downhill, physical runner. Continually shows the effort to fight for extra yards until he’s on the ground, but it doesn’t necessarily translate it into more yards
• Very quick acceleration to get to top speed
• Shows good change of direction behind the line of scrimmage and when not yet up to full speed
• Had success running a multitude of run concepts for Arkansas and not limited to one blocking scheme
• Has fumbled ten times over the last two years, with nine coming on runs. 52.5 rush attempts per fumble is below average and much more often than you would like to see
• While he sees the field well when getting into the secondary or open field, he can’t always change direction as well as he wants to if already at full speed and can be indecisive at times
• Can go down too easy at times when hit below the waist
• Was not utilized much as a receiver. Had only 16 receptions for 73 yards over the past two years
Collins is a high-effort runner who is at his best when running downhill. He’s more quick than fast but has shown the ability to finish long runs. He can run any scheme and shouldered a full workload in 2015. He’s unproven as a receiver and an average pass blocker, so would ideally be paired with another back that can cover that area.