PFF scouting report: Thomas Sperbeck, WR, Boise State
Name: Thomas Sperbeck
School: Boise State
Position fit: Slot receiver/returner
Stats to know: Averaged 2.76 yards per route run from the slot, 15th among wide receivers in 2016.
What he does best:
- Possesses excellent playing speed and is explosive after the catch.
- Very quick to turn upfield after the reception, which leads to easy yards after catch on accurate passes.
- Has versatility to line up wide or as slot receiver too and ran all routes on the route tree at Boise State including jet sweeps.
- Uses his hands to catch passes and does not let the football in to his body.
- Quick out of his breaks and has a second gear he can use after his break to separate from defenders.
- Numbers were inflated by screen passes, quick hitches, and plays where he was schemed open.
- He is an extremely raw route-runner as he tends to round off his breaks and give away his routes occasionally.
- His physicality is a concern as he does not win contested situations on a consistent basis and can be easily disrupted during his route.
- Has inconsistent hands and had 11 drops in 2016, tied for second-most among wide receivers.
Bottom line: Sperbeck seems too much of a developmental project at this point for a team to take a flyer on him. However, his speed and quickness could turn heads if he can make it to a training camp and if he can contribute on special teams, even as a returner where he may find success due to his speed, quickness and elusiveness.