PFF scouting report: Sebastian Tretola, G, Arkansas
Below is the PFF draft profile for Arkansas guard Sebastian Tretola, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.
Guard in a man/power scheme.
Stat to know:
Ranked eighth among guards in the draft class with a +20.7 run-blocking grade. Finished 43rd in the class with a pass-blocking grade of +0.5.
What he does best:
• Possesses destructive power, superior to the majority of guards in this class. Consistently generates movement on double-teams. Drives defenders vertically when he latches on at the second level. Widens frontside points of attack when down-blocking.
• Couples his power with a nasty attitude, puts defenders on the ground with regularity. Few lineman in this class relish pancaking opponents as much as the Razorbacks’ offensive lineman.
• Good awareness, assignment-sound as a run-blocker in particular. Locates defenders at the second level effectively. Able to recognize stunts on the fly and re-direct to pick them up.
• Plodding feet limits his effectiveness in pass protection (+0.5 grade). Poor movement skills leads to frequent overextension on dropbacks. Easily unbalanced when required to move backward.
• Scheme limited. Doesn’t have the natural movement skills for certain zone schemes; graded at only +1.5 on zone plays (compared to +15.0 on man/power plays).
• Fairly ineffective on the move, doesn’t pull-block as well as expected. Slow to get to the hole and often misses the block when he gets there. Also offers more of a hindrance than a help in the screen game.
Tretola has a number of attractive traits, but is also majorly deficient in a couple of areas. Whether he can be at least serviceable facing NFL pass-rushers every week is unclear. It will be of particular concern that Mississippi State’s Chris Jones and Ole Miss’ Robert Nkemdiche embarrassed him a couple of times in pass-protection. If Tretola can be at least competent in that facet of play, he could be an excellent guard in a power scheme. He certainly put enough highlight-reel blocks on tape to suggest that he has the strength to win his fair share of battles inside at the next level.