PFF scouting report: Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA
Below is the PFF draft profile for UCLA’s Paul Perkins, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.
Change-of-pace running back with the potential to grow into a larger role.
Stats to know:
• Ranked fifth in the nation among all running backs in overall grade, second among draft-eligible players last season. As purely a runner he was the highest-graded in the draft class in 2015
• His 114.7 elusive rating ranked second in the nation and first among draft-eligible backs
• On average he forced a missed tackle once every 3.2 rush attempts, the second-best rate among draft-eligible RBs
What he does best:
• Very quick change of direction and exceptional ability to make defenders miss. Good burst coming out of cuts to create separation from would-be tacklers. One of the most elusive backs in the nation
• Not limited by blocking scheme. Has proven success running both inside zone and power schemes
• Shows patience as a runner and sets up blocks well
• Can the most out of poor blocking. He was contacted behind the line of scrimmage on over 25 percent of his runs, one of the higher rates in the nation. On those 61 runs, he still averaged 3.5 yards after contact.
• Very good as a spread running back, but how will he adjust to being in a more pro-style offense if asked to be one? All but five of his 236 carries came from shotgun or pistol formation, and 87 percent of his carries had an option-look to them
• Below-average pass blocker. Allowed 25 pressures on 201 plays where he stayed in to block over the last two years
• Decent at catching the ball but hasn’t shown to be special enough to make up for his blocking. Room to grow as a receiver
There are many smaller, shifty running backs but you will be hard-pressed to find one as elusive and successful as Perkins. His blocking ability might limit his role early on and because of that he is not best-suited as an every-down player, but he’s still capable of making a sizable impact for an offense.