PFF scouting report: Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
Here is the PFF draft profile for Baylor’s Andrew Billings, which incorporates PFF’s college grades and scouting intel from our team of analysts. To see all of PFF’s 2016 scouting reports, click here.
Nose tackle, either in a 3-4 or a 4-3.
Stats to know:
Ranked 19th in the nation against the run in 2014 and fifth in 2015. Played 765 snaps in 2015, second-most among nose tackles.
What he does best:
• Will destroy blockers when moving forward; attacks blockers, uses his strength to move the line of scrimmage
• Can bull-rush and push the pocket in both the pass and run game. A large chunk of his pressures came on the bull rush
• Excellent two-year pass-rush grade, was disruptive on the interior
• Shows ability to attack gaps or two-gap at point of attack, though can improve his consistency in both areas
• Two years of strong production on a snap-to-snap basis
• Will drop his head and get put on skates at times in run game
• Struggled to feel and shed back/down-blocks
• Baylor scheme had him slanting quite a bit, not playing to his strengths
• Is not at his best when trying to shed blocks laterally down the line of scrimmage
• Not great as using his hands and shedding blocks; often relies on brute strength at the college level
• Allows blockers get into his pads too often, may have some ugly plays against NFL guards and centers
• Lacks an inside move as a pass-rusher, rarely beat blockers to their inside shoulder
Dontari Poe, Kansas City Chiefs. While Billings is not an athletic freak like Poe, they are similar in that neither is great at shedding blocks, and they’re both best when attacking the center from the nose tackle position and disrupting plays in the backfield. Poe also took time to develop, which Billings may need as he improves his hand usage.
In the right scheme, Billings could develop into a quality nose tackle, though there are areas for him to improve upon along the way. If his technique catches up to his natural strength, he’ll be a pillar on the interior for many years.