Packers help their secondary, drafting Josh Jones in 2nd
- The Green Bay Packers selected safety Josh Jones with their second pick of the second round in the draft Friday night.
- Jones is a highly athletic, big safety who had an impressive combine performance, but was our 14th-ranked safety on our big board.
- Jones lined up all over the field for NC State, with 57 percent of his snaps as a strong safety or box linebacker, 28 percent of his snaps as a free safety, and 13 percent of his snaps aligned as a slot corner.
- He made 23 run stops on defense for a 6.8 run-stop percentage, the fourth-highest among the safety draft class.
- Missed 13 tackles in 2016, which put him 61st in tackling efficiency among draft-eligible safeties.
- Jones’ elite athleticism will allow defensive coordinator Dom Capers to move him around the defense and provide some versatility, but it didn’t always show up on film due to poor technique and occasional busts in coverage.
- He may be used initially as a sub-package linebacker with Green Bay boasting one of the better safety duos in Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.