Eagles select Derek Barnett with first pick in hometown draft
- The Philadelphia Eagles selected edge defender Derek Barnett with the 14th overall pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.
- Barnett’s overall grade of 91.9 last year was second only to No. 1 pick Myles Garrett (92.1) among all edge defenders in the NCAA
- Last season, Barnett had 13 sacks, 24 hits, and 41 hurries for a total of 78 pressures. That ranked second in the nation among all edge defenders. His pass-rushing productivity of 16.8 ranked third.
- He also had 23 solo run stops, which ranked 10th at his position.
- Barnett will join a stacked Eagles defensive line that already has the second-highest graded edge defender of the 2016 season in Brandon Graham (93.3 overall grade, 83 total pressures in 2016) as well as the fifth-highest-graded interior defender in Fletcher Cox (87.1 overall grade, 57 total pressures).