49ers trade up, select Alabama's Reuben Foster at 31st overall
- The San Francisco 49ers traded up into the first round and selected Alabama linebacker Reuben Foster with the 31st pick of the NFL draft.
- Foster’s overall grade of 93.9 led all linebackers in college football in 2016, while he also drew comparisons to former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis.
- The former Alabama linebacker is one of the few complete three-down linebackers that can defend the run, rush the passer, and drop back into coverage.
- Foster was among the best run-stopping linebackers last season as he excelled at “sorting through the trash” and finding the ball carrier in traffic. Hence he led all linebackers with a run-stop percentage 16.3 percent.
- His athletic ability and instincts were showcased nearly every time he dropped back into coverage to cover the middle of the field or run with tight ends in coverage; he was tied for the most pass breakups among linebackers with seven.